A furnace is important for comfort and survival in the cold winter weather. Without a furnace, we would be huddling around wood fires to stay warm! Even after proper maintenance, sometimes furnaces can break down and develop problems that impede regular functioning. If your furnace is acting up, you should go in for furnace repair in Katy, TX.
To troubleshoot a furnace, you can do the things mentioned below
Check Furnace Filter
Over time, furnace filters can get dirty, impeding the airflow and worsening indoor air quality. Therefore, the filter is the first thing to check.
How would you check the furnace filter?
- First, turn your thermostat off and flip the furnace switch off before you conduct any work on the furnace.
- Check your air filter every 30 days.
- Hold your filter up to a light source- if light cannot pass through easily, it should be cleaned or replaced.
- While installing your new filter, remember that the arrows should point in the direction of the airflow.
- Make sure you secure the access panel properly.
Check the Thermostat
Once you have verified that your furnace filter is installed properly and is clean, check the thermostat.
- Make sure that the thermostat is set to “heat” and try setting the temperature at least 5 degrees higher than the current room temperature.
- Replace the batteries if required.
- For electromechanical thermostats, you may require opening it up and giving gentle dusting using a soft paintbrush or something similar to brush off the dirt and dust lightly.
- Check the location of the thermostat and make sure it isn’t receiving any false readings from sunlight, lamps, etc.
Check Furnace Switch and Electrical Panel
Sometimes the filter and the thermostat are fine. Instead, the power could be a problem.
- Check the furnace switch near the furnace. Try flipping the switch back if it’s turned off. If that doesn’t help, head to the electrical panel.
- Make sure the power is turned on at the breaker box or the fuse box.
- If your breaker box is labeled properly, look for the breaker switch in the opposite direction of the rest and switch it back on.
- Flip the switch off before flipping it back on again to reset your breaker. You will hear a ‘click’ sound.
- Look for a melted and discolored fuse to restore power to a fuse box.
- Unscrew the fuse, replace it with the same size and type of fuse.
- Turn your furnace on and see if this restored power to your furnace.
Other Ways for Troubleshooting your Furnace
- Check the furnace flame
- Pilot light and gas valve
- Properly secure front panel
- Ensure all vents are open and unblocked
Troubleshooting the furnace and getting repairs at the right time is necessary for the health of your HVAC but also your house. Therefore, it is necessary to trust the best service for furnace installation Katy FX like Air Mechanic Services. Their reliable services ensure that your furnace and house, both, are hale and hearty.